That are the male/female cavy that is best fits for best-buddy experience, and which matches could bring the essential issues in their social everyday lives. I am hoping visite site this informative article will causes things simple them live happy together for you to decide on your guinea pigs’ social lives and make.
1. Why do you want multiple guinea pig?
Because guinea pigs are extremely social pets, it will always be suggested which they reside with one or more another cage mate. Having only one guinea pig makes his/her life lonely, regardless of how enough time you may spend because you are not (presumably, as you are reading this) of a cavy species, but human – which just doesn’t cut it with him or her. We don’t talk their language, although we are able to mostly know very well what are they attempting to tell us.
Solo guinea pig could get lonely, less inquisitive, less vocal, less active, less funny. It isn’t normal for them to live without having any other of these sort.
Whenever residing together, guinea pigs would communicate together, play and run around more, follow and groom one another, and perchance also rest cuddled up together.
Whenever selecting cage mates, it will always be better to have a similar sex, or various gender but neutered – because there are a lot of abandoned guinea pigs in neighborhood pet shelters, and breeding is usually not advised, since you can save yourself the people through the shelters. This, needless to say, extremely is dependent on your location that is geographical and pig populace.
2. Fancy terms
- Boar: Male guinea pig.
- Sow: Feminine guinea pig.
- Sexing guinea pigs: Determining if your guinea pig is a boar or even a sow.
- Neutering: a broad term utilized to explain the castration of the animal that is male. It is comprised of eliminating the testicles.
- Spaying: a broad term utilized to explain the ovariohysterectomy of the sow. It comes with a removal of the sow’s reproductive organ – either all of it or perhaps a part that is considerably large. It really is a serious and complicated procedure that is surgical.
Both spaying and neutering are medical procedures that give the pet not capable of reproducing. they truly are done with a veterinarian. They truly are mostly done because of the overpopulation of animal shelters – it is best to save lots of the people which occur then to reproduce ones that are new.
If having an option, always neuter your male guinea pig. The procedure is much more difficult for feminine guinea pigs. Constantly consult with your guinea pig veterinarian first.
3. Preparations before launching newbies
- You should be 100% sure you understand the intercourse of the guinea pigs. There are numerous pages that are great this, like about this link. If you’re nevertheless uncertain in regards to the sex, pose a question to your veterinarian. Don’t rely on the given information provided to you because of the animal store workers.
- Prepare a big sufficient cage – you will find the minimal suggested measurements in the guinea pig cages page.
- If having two males, prepare separate hiding places and meals bowls, so each one of these might have “his very own stuff”.
- The cage and all sorts of the cage add-ons must certanly be washed making use of vinegar, to eliminate all past scents. Rearranging the cage interior can also be suggested to get rid of the present touch” that is“personal.
- Wash your guinea pigs to notably conceal their natural fragrance. One great tip from Jackie’s Guinea Piggies is always to rub the hay through the current guinea pigs cage in the comer that is new. Like that the newbie would smell like a somewhat user regarding the herd.
- Quarantine duration for a brand new guinea pig. Your guinea that is new pig carry some health problems which may incubate for a time, and distribute among your current cavies. Consequently, it is essential to quarantine your brand new guinea pig for at minimum a couple of weeks, therefore prospective health problems would show with time to avoid epidemic. Keep consitently the newcomer from your recurring guinea pigs, and always wash your hand after managing the newcomer.
4. Guinea pig matches
The guinea that is following matches are purchased from easiest to possibly problematic.
- Two child guinea pigs
- Baby guinea pig and an adult guinea pig associated with exact same sex
- Neutered male and another or maybe more females
- Two females. It will be possible which they will never go along – will depend on their characters
- Two men could reside in harmony, but that depends upon a case that is specific again, regarding the character of this guinea pigs under consideration
5. Introductions guidelines and recommendations
- Whenever presenting guinea that is new, never put your brand new guinea pig straight within the cage where your old guinea pig has already been residing.
- Their very first conference must certanly be done in the large, enclosed ground that is“neutral – somewhere outside of the cage, in an area that is a new comer to both guinea pigs, like a specific area of a kitchen area or your bathroom.
- Put a stack of hay and treats (vegetables) to the center of this area.
- Spot your entire guinea pigs in to the area.
- Prepare some towels, just in case they begin to get actually aggressive.
- Observe they behaviour: ignoring the other person is normal. Then, all this can happen: mounting each other, teeth chattering, chasing around, purring followed by swaggering stroll, etc. it’s a thing that is natural them – establishing hierarchy, who’s the boss, who’s the friendly neighbor and who does not care. This can simply just take about a full hour; from then on, you really need to nevertheless observe them for the next number of hours.
- Following the period that is observingabout 3 hours alltogether) they need to appear confident with one another. They can be placed by you during the cage together.
- Observe their behaviour into the cage for the next time period, in order to make sure these are typically okay.
- When they don’t appear to go along after their time together committed regarding the basic ground, read further. You will need to throw a towel at the aggressive one and separate one from another if they start to get physically aggressive and fight.
6. Imagine if they don’t go along?
It will be possible that the guinea pigs won’t go along, regardless of what you are doing and exactly how very carefully you have got browse the directions with this page that is manual. Don’t be alarmed or disheartened nature that is works this way.
Should this happen, you will want to have them divided one way or another. The thing that is best to accomplish is to have them close sufficient so they really could see, smell and keep in touch with each other, but they are separated with a few types of a partition. These are typically nevertheless social, and achieving another guinea pig inside their vicinity is a deal that is great them.